But even we were surprised by some of the creative ideas in this article from Mother Nature Network: 20 ways to reuse coffee grounds, tea leaves.
Some of our favorites included:
- Sadden the ants. Sprinkle coffee grounds around areas of ant infestation to deter them.
- Soothe your eyes. The tannins in tea have anti-inflammatory effects, which is why cool ones are often employed on puffy eyes. (The chill also helps with swelling.)
- Simplify fireplace cleaning. Before cleaning the fireplace, sprinkle with dampened used coffee grounds, which will weigh down the ash and thus eliminate clouds of smoke-flavored dust.
- Boost potted plants. When potting plants, place a few used tea bags on top of the drainage layer at the bottom of the planter before adding soil. The tea bags will help to retain water and will also leach some nutrients into the potting medium.
- Keep cats at bay. Keep kitties out of the garden with a mixture of orange peels and used coffee grounds distributed around plants.
One of our team members contributed some additional ideas for cleaning with coffee and tea:
- Soak greasy dishes overnight with warm water and one or two brewed tea bags. The tannins will remove grease and food residues for a speedy cleanup in the morning.
- Take a scouring plan and rub used coffee grounds onto dirty cookware. The added friction will help to remove stuck-on messes.
With 22 new uses for used grounds and tea bags, you might find yourself drinking more delicious beverages to get the ingredients for your projects. Enjoy!
Since 1991, Crimson Cup Coffee & Tea has roasted and packaged quality, great-tasting coffee in Columbus, Ohio. We’ve also taught more than 250 independent business owners how to be successful in specialty coffee through our coffee franchise alternative program.
Questions about opening a coffee shop? Give us a call at 888-800-9224.