Looking for a great way to help your coffee shop stand out from the other places in town that serve specialty coffee? Then look to your customer service.
Customer service, more than any other factor, is the key to happy customers. Happy customers become loyal customers, and they make word-of-mouth recommendations that attract new customers.
It follows that the daily goal of a coffee shop owner should be to exceed customer expectations. But how?
Try these tips from Crimson Cup Founder and President Greg Ubert’s book, Seven Steps to Success in the Specialty Coffee Industry.
- Start with exceptional products. Specialty coffee customers have refined tastes, so the quality of your coffee, milk, syrups and other drink ingredients must be second-to-none.
- Set positive expectations. A little enthusiasm goes a long way toward creating a positive experience. Tell customers about the special qualities that set your drinks apart. Anyone can make a drink and slap it down on the counter. But get your customers feeling excited about the drink they’re about to consume, and chances are they’ll be delighted.
- Hire friendly, outgoing people. Friendly people make a good first impression as customers walk in your door. People can be trained to be fast and efficient, but you cannot train them to be friendly. It is simply a part of their disposition.
- Become an expert at what you do. Product knowledge is crucial to customer satisfaction. Make sure your employees know your drink menu backwards and forwards so that they have the confidence to make drink recommendations to customers.
- Greet every customer. Acknowledging your customers as soon as they walk in the door makes them feel welcome. All employees should be encouraged to meet and greet customers from their workstations – with eye contact, a smile and a quick wave or “hello.”
- Know your customers. The key to repeat business is to know what your customer wants as they walk in the door. This makes the customer feel special and increases the speed with which you can serve them.
Of course, great customer service doesn’t occur in a vacuum. It’s integrally tied to all other facets of your coffee house, from store layout to equipment to staff training.
Our mission at Crimson Cup is to help coffee shop owners make the most of their operations. Whether you’re thinking of opening a coffee shop or have an existing coffee house, we’d love to show you how. Just give us a call at 888-800-9224 or contact us via our website and we’ll get right back to you.