Tips for Celebrating the Holidays at Your Coffee ShopJanuary 30, 2023 (Published: December 20, 2012)
Colder weather, shopping outings, and informal get-togethers with family and friends should all contribute to increasing foot traffic at your shop.
Here are some ideas for making the most of the season.
- Set the stage. Make sure your coffee house feels holiday-friendly. Plan decor to complement the ambiance of your shop. If you’re understated, a bit of greenery and bows may be all you need. A more eclectic shop might display a collection of vintage holiday decorations from the forties or fifties. Don’t forget the holiday tunes! Play enough variety that your clients and staff will both enjoy the mix. “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” and other kitschy classics are fun only in moderation.
- Entice taste buds with holiday specialty drinks. Espresso-based beverages such as Peppermint Mocha, Gingerbread Latte and Eggnog promote a festive mood. Advertise your seasonal specials with posters and table tents displaying mouth-watering photos of these beverages.
- Offer seasonal baked goods. Get in touch with your local bakery to stock up on Christmas sugar cookies, gingerbread men, and other holiday sweets for customers to enjoy with their seasonal beverages.
- Encourage gift-giving. Now that your customers are in the holiday mood, make gifting easier by displaying an assortment of gift baskets in different sizes and price ranges. These can contain your coffee, brewing supplies, mugs, t-shirts, seasonal baked goods and any other items you carry. Place a prominent gift-card display at the cash register to encourage spontaneous gifting.
- Plan a special event (or two). Planning an event to get people in your doors to celebrate is fun for customers and staff alike. Get as creative as you dare. Enjoy Christmas music with carolers, a local folk group or a night of Christmas karaoke. Host a Santa Claus and Elves contest and give prizes to the best costumes. Or maybe a Cosby sweater night, where you give prizes to the tackiest sweaters. The options are endless. We’d love to hear about yours.
The holiday season should be fun and profitable for your coffee house. Everyone at Crimson Cup wishes you a happy – and busy – holiday.