Are you dreaming about opening a coffee shop? Perhaps you see yourself working in a business you love. Serving the best coffee drinks in town. Creating a community gathering place. Maybe renovating a historic location, or building a sleek new structure from the ground up.
As empowering and exciting as dreams can be, they are just the beginning. It is important to do your homework before making the giant leap into your own business. Doing the upfront work can put you on the road to success and prevent your business from failing.
That’s where the coffee shop business plan comes into play. Researching and writing this plan will help you develop a concrete road map for turning your dreams into a thriving business. A strong coffee shop business plan also is an absolute necessity if you plan to seek outside financing.
A coffee shop business plan describes the future of your business. It documents:
- What you plan to do
- And how you plan to do it.
Writing the plan helps you nail down what it takes to succeed in the coffee industry and develop a concrete vision for your new business. As you develop your plan, you’ll answer key questions about your new business, including:
- Where should you locate your coffee house?
- Where will you find coffee and other supplies?
- What coffee drinks should you serve, and how should you price them?
- How much will it cost to open your coffee shop?
- Who are your ideal customers, and how will you bring them into your store?
- Where will you obtain funding for your business?
- What equipment will you need?
- How many staff will you need – and how will you find them?
- How will you train your staff in drink preparation and other aspects of coffee shop operation?
- What is your breakeven point for making a profit?
Business plans are so important that Greg Ubert, our founder and president, included a coffee shop business plan template in his book, Seven Steps to Success in the Specialty Coffee Business. Reading this book has put hundreds of other coffee house owners on the path to success. To make sure you get off to the right start, we offer an hour of free business consulting with every book purchase.
Greg also has written about business plans for CoffeeTalk magazine – including “The One-Day Business Plan,” which outlines how to draft your initial plan in just 24 hours.
We’re always happy to answer any questions you have about business plans or any other aspect of running a successful coffee business. Just give us a call at 1.855.751.1292, or fill our online form to get the conversation started.